Visitor medical insurance provides coverage for medical conditions of a visitor during his trip. It is meant to safeguard his financial stability and medical care which may be affected by the unexpected medical emergencies outside his home country.
Unsure as to buy visitor medical insurance or not! Refer to the following 5 main reasons for buying medical insurance when traveling especially to USA:
- High medical costs: In countries like the USA, cost of medical treatment and supplies can be very expensive. Further, the difference in currency may lead to high charges too. Visitor insurance plans offers you benefits associated with both inpatient as well as outpatient services. Some of them are-
- Hospital room and board
- Intensive care
- Diagnosis, treatment and Surgery by a physician
- Outpatient visits or examinations at physicians’, clinic care and surgical opinion consultations
- Medication, x-ray services, laboratory tests and services
- Charges for physiotherapy, if recommended by a physician for the treatment of a specific disablement and administered by a licensed physiotherapist.
- Ground ambulance to and from the nearest hospital with facilities for required treatment. If the insured Person is in a rural area and unreachable by ground ambulance, then licensed air ambulance transportation to the nearest metropolitan area shall be considered a covered expense.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation: If the visitor suffers injury or meets an accident, and the hospital or medical care center does not have adequate expertise and equipment, the visitor is evacuated to a better hospital for the necessary treatment and care. This is known as Emergency Medical Evacuation and is very important during a trip outside your home country.
- Acute onset of Pre-existing conditions: Visitors may suffer from medical conditions prior to the start of their trip. These conditions need different kind of coverage since they are not new injury or sickness or accident. Such conditions are known as Pre-Existing conditions. Their acute onset requires immediate medical attention. The term “Acute Onset of a Pre-Existing Condition(s)” shall mean a sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence of a Pre-existing Condition(s) which occurs spontaneously and without advance warning in the form of Physician recommendations or symptoms, is of short duration, is rapidly progressive, and requires urgent care. The Acute Onset of a Pre-existing Condition(s) must occur after the effective date of the policy. Therefore, it is a must to purchase visitor medical insurance to be able to handle the acute onset of pre-existing conditions.
- Return of Mortal Remains: Though unfortunate it is for a visitor to pass away on his trip, it poses a difficult situation before his family members or loved ones to arrange the return of his remains to his home country. Visitor medical insurance comes as a rescue in this difficult time. The insured person’s remains are returned to his or home country (regardless of whether the death is related to a Pre-existing condition). Covered expenses include the air or ground transportation to the deceased’s residence as well preparing remains for this transportation.
- Return of Minor Child(ren): If the insured person was traveling alone with a minor child or children, and he is hospitalized for a covered illness or injury or accident the arrangement to send his minor child to his home country is part of the visitor insurance benefits. If an attendant/escort is necessary to ensure the safety and welfare of minor Child(ren), the insurance company will arrange and pay for these services to the limit stated in the policy details.